HOW TO APPLY FOR TUITION REIMBURSEMENT
As of the start of the 2019-2020 school year, WEA has changed the process for tuition reimbursement. There is no longer a pre-approval process.
- Pay for the class. Take the class.
- Inter-office or mail hard copies of the following documents to the WEC (200 E. Wilson Bridge Rd, Room 319, Worthington, Ohio 43085)
- Completed the WEA Tuition Reimbursement form.
- Proof-of-payment (preferably a printed payment receipt/invoice from the college/university).
- The final grade(s) to show course completion (does not have to be an official transcript).
Funds will be disbursed three times a year with a "guaranteed pay-by date". (Note: **All Summer 2019 and before requests need to have the final grade and proof of payment to the WEA office by October 31st.)
|Fall 2019||Deadline 1/31/20||Paid-on 3/3/20|
|Winter/Spring 2020||Deadline 6/30/20||Paid-on 09/03/20|
|Summer 2020||Deadline 9/30/20||Paid-on 11/3/20|
Note: All Summer 2019 and before requests need to have the final grade and proof of payment to the WEA office by October 31st.
The Board provides $140,000 per year for the purpose of reimbursing members for graduate course work tuition.7 For the purpose of this provision, each year will begin on September 1 and conclude on August 31. Unused funds are carried forward. The tuition reimbursement program is administered by the district and the Association per mutually agreed upon procedure. Members who do not receive fee authorization through the provisions of Article 16.2 will receive first priority in the distribution of tuition reimbursement funds. Members who have less than five years of work experience in the Worthington City School District and who voluntarily resign their position shall be required to reimburse the district for any tuition reimbursement funds they received during their last year of employment.
- The tuition reimbursement fund will be allocated three times per year, based on the previous year's demand for each reimbursement period. For example, more money is allocated toward summer reimbursement because that is when demand is highest.
- The division of the fund between terms each year will be adjusted based on observed patterns of demand. Online, video and other accredited distance-learning courses are reimbursed based on the term the course is completed.
- Tuition reimbursement will be provided to each recipient on a formula basis per hour. There will be no distinction in quarter hours and semester hours in determining reimbursement per hour.
- Note that reimbursement is based on the member's net tuition cost. Scholarships, stipends, and other forms of reimbursement are deducted from the gross tuition cost before calculating the amount of reimbursement. Also, courses are sometimes offered in conjunction with conferences or workshops or have other fees connected to them. In these cases, only the actual tuition paid to the university for graduate credit is eligible for reimbursement, NOT registration fees for the conference or workshop, materials fees, or other non-tuition costs.*
- Reimbursement in any given term will be allocated to all who apply on an hour-by-hour basis until all funds have been allocated. Members who are granted fee waivers will not get reimbursed for those hours – no double-dipping.
- The fee waiver process outlined in Article 16.2 of the Master Agreement will be followed before tuition reimbursement funds are allocated. If you receive a three-hour fee waiver, you will receive tuition reimbursement only if funds that term are being allocated to the fourth hour of coursework. If you receive a one-hour fee waiver, you will receive available tuition reimbursement only for hours beyond the first hour.
- Each member is subject to a limit of 3 hours per term. Note that these are maximums—actual reimbursement may cover fewer hours.
An exception may be made in those instances where necessary professional growth requires activities other than graduate coursework. Non-graduate credit professional activities must be required for certification/licensure or otherwise necessary for the fulfillment of job responsibilities. Evidence of CEU credit is required upon completion. Reimbursement is not available for meals, mileage, or other incidental conference expenses.